Lincoln Castle
Ship Number
Vessel Type
Paddle Passenger Ship
A&J Inglis
Launch Date
April 27, 1940
July 24, 1941
London & North Eastern Railway co
598 grt
BP Length
199-9 feet
33 feet
No. of Screws
Speed (approx)
10 knots
Ailsa SB Co. Ltd. Troon - Steam Triple Expansion 3 cylinder 850iHP
Official No.
 Lincoln Castle

The PS Lincoln Castle was the last of the River Humber ferries to be built prior to the construction of the road bridge, which brought the service to a close. One of three sister ships, amazingly all of which have  survived, the Lincoln Castle was built in 1940 at the A. & J. Inglis boatyard on the River Clyde in Scotland. Owned by the London and North Eastern Railway Company (LNER) she was 200ft (60.6m) in length, 33ft (10m) across the beam, had a gross tonnage of 598 tonnes, and was powered by a triple expansion diagonal reciprocating steam engine. Completed after the outbreak of the Second World War, the PS Lincoln Castle's journey to Grimsby was never going to be an easy one. There were only two routes that could be taken. To the south, around the south-west coast of England and up through the English Channel,  thereby risking attack by both the German navy and air forces, or to the north around Scotland and into the stormy waters of the North Sea. Deciding on the northern route, she soon encountered a severe storm in which she was damaged, forcing her to return to the River Clyde yard for repair. A second attempt was made in the spring of 1941, this time as part of a larger convoy. Although spotted by a German dive-bomber, she arrived safely in Grimsby to begin a busy life transporting troops and supplies along the River Humber to whereever they were needed. After the war, LNER were amalgamated with British Rail but the three sister ships, Tattershall Castle, Wingfield Castle and Lincoln Castle, continued their ferry services between Hull and New Holland. They also ran a Sunday excursion schedule from Hull, providing evening cruises to Read's Island, and daytime trips to Grimsby. This role continued until the opening of the Humber Bridge in 1981 when, as the country's last coal-fired paddle steamer, PS Lincoln Castle was laid up. Purchased privately by the Johnson family in 1986 the Lincoln Castle was brought back to Grimsby, where she was lovingly restored. She can now be found at the National Fishing Heritage Centre where she provides a unique location as a restaurant, bar and function suite.