Originally named HMS Alert, changed to HMS Acute in 1942
These were the largest minesweepers ever built for the Royal Navy, and were frequently used as escort vessels during World War II.
The reason was that they were designed to combat every single type of mine around. They were 40 feet longer and 7 feet beamier than the previous "Bangor class", the design was so successful, it continued right through the war until the cessation.
Operated in the Mediterranean, earning the battle honours North Africa 1942-43, Sicily 1943 and Salerno 1943.
Departed Malta 9 May 1946 to return to UK for sweeping duties off the Dutch coast.
Paid off into reserve at Harwich November 1946.
Refitted 1956 and recommisioned (May) for service with the Dartmouth Training Squadron.
Paid off into reserve again July 1961.
Sold at Malta 20 November 1964 for use as a torpedo target and broken up at La Spezia.