HMS Spanker
Ship Number
1146
Vessel Type
Algerine Class Minesweeper
Built
Belfast
Yard
Musgrave Yard
Slip Number
11
Launch Date
April 20, 1944
Launched By
Mrs F Johnston
Delivered
August 20, 1943
Owner
Admiralty
Weight
1053 grt
BP Length
212-20 feet
Breadth
35-19 feet
No. of Screws
Twin
Speed (approx)
16.5 knots
Propulsion
Parsons Single Reduction Geared Turbines 2000 SHP
Official No.
Registered
Fate
-
 HMS Spanker

Pennant No. J226
 
These were the largest minesweepers ever built for the Royal Navy, and were frequently used as escort vessels during World War II.
 
The reason was that they were designed to combat every single type of mine around. They were 40 feet longer and 7 feet beamier than the previous "Bangor class", the design was so successful, it continued right through the war until the cessation.
 
Decommissioned at South Queensferry, Scotland in December 1947. The ship was placed in reserve.
Sold to the Belgian Navy on 25 February 1953.