These were the largest minesweepers ever built for the Royal Navy, and were frequently used as escort vessels during World War II.
The reason was that they were designed to combat every single type of mine around. They were 40 feet longer and 7 feet beamier than the previous "Bangor class", the design was so successful, it continued right through the war until the cessation. Operated in European waters until March 1945 and present at D-Day landings.
She was placed in reserve at Plymouth 1946.
Assigned to 4th Minesweeping Flotilla in Operational Reserve at Harwich April 1951.
She was present at the Coronation Review 15 June 1953.
In Channel Command 1954, still with 4th MSF, followed by reserve at Portsmouth.
Towed from Portsmouth to Devonport 30 July 1958 and sold to Ceylon.
Handed over to Royal Ceylon Navy 6 April 1959 and renamed Parakrama.