These were the largest minesweepers ever built for the Royal Navy, and were frequently used as escort vessels during World War II.
The reason was that they were designed to combat every single type of mine around. They were 40 feet longer and 7 feet beamier than the previous "Bangor class", the design was so successful, it continued right through the war until the cessation.
On completion joined 18th Minesweeping Flotilla for service in Home Waters.
Put into reserve 1947-50.
Refitted at Liverpool 1950-51 prior to joining the 4th Minesweeping Flotilla in the Channel Command.