ordered on 2nd February 1943 from Harland and Wolf at Belfast and laid down on 28th December 1943 as Job No. J3397 (Yard No. 1247.). The ship was launched on 18th June 1944 as the 1st Royal Navy ship to carry the name.
Transferred from Belfast to Fitting Out Base at Dalmuir in the Clyde for completion of work.
On completion of work January 1945 joined Group at Londonderry.
July 1946 Arrived at Devonport - Paid-off and de-stored
August 1946 Reduced to Reserve status and laid-up in Reserve Fleet, Plymouth.
HMS Loch Gorm was selected for modernisation in 1951 but this was never implemented, presumably due to financial constraints. She remained in Reserve and after her machinery had been preserved went to Glasgow in 1954 for the installation of dehumidification equipment. The ship then joined other ships in Reserve at Barrow, although it had been planned for her to to be laid-up at Gibraltar. In 1956 she was offered for sale to Portugal but this never materialised and the ship went on the Disposal List.
Placed on the Sales List during 1960 she was sold in April 1961 to Kavounides Shipping Ltd and converted by Canaan Laird for use as a passenger ferry, renamed Orion.