Known as the Anchises class Mark A1 she first of a class of 21 ships built over a period of seven years as part of Holt's post war re-building programme.
Up until 1956 she was used as the company's training ship whereby the normal deck crew were replaced by 22 midshipmen (cadets) and 14 engineering cadets. Whilst from a training point of view this was an excellent arrangement it is believed that maintenance tended to suffer.
In 1957 she was transferred to Glen Line and renamed Glenfinlas and remained there until November 1962 when she reverted to Ocean and her original name.
During 1971/72 she was operated by Elder Dempster Lines as part of the Holt Group's fleet restructuring programme.
On 22nd July 1973 she had the distinction of being the last of only 14 Blue Funnel ships to be lost following an accident or fire. Whilst in Port Kelang a petrol engined fork-lift truck fell into the cargo in a deep tank whilst working in a tween deck and caught fire. She was towed out of the harbour and beached but she was completely gutted. Re-floated during the following August she was found to be beyond repair towed to Kaohsiung, Singapore where she was demolished.