Sister ship of the Cardiganshire she was delivered to T & J Brocklebank for their Indian routes. She was transferred to Shire Line in 1906 with the name Carnarvonshire.
In 1907 she passed into the ownership of Royal Mail but continued to operate as part of the Shire fleet until she was sold in 1911 to N. Fredriksen of Sandefjord for use as a whaling supply ship named Falkland.
She passed into the ownership of Akties Ornen of Sandefjord in 1913 as the Orn 2.
In 1930 was sold to Hvalgfangerelsk Pontos of Tonsberg but managed by Bruun & Von der Lippe as the Pontos.
With her main mast and bridge front removed she continued to operate as a whaling supply ship until she was broken up in Norway in 1934.