Built mainly for cargo services but had accommodation for up to 675 emigrants which were carried seasonally from Spain and Portugal.
In 1904 she was sold to the Hamburg America Line and renamed Allemania. Two years later she was sold to the Russian Government as a replacement for ships lost during Russa - Japanese war and renamed Kowno.
In 1907 she returned to Hamburg America Line ownership and reverted to her former name, Allemania.
In April 1917 she was seized by the United States, operated by the United States Shipping Board and renamed USS Owasco
On 10th December 1917 she was torpedoed by a German submarine off Alicante in Spain, was beached and being beyond commercial repair was broken up in the following year.