With accommodation for 200-1st, 200-2nd, and 800-3rd class passengers she was launched on 14th May 1896 and sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 1st October 1896.
From November 1899 to late 1902, she was used as a transport ship for the Boer War, and on 19th March 1903 she went on the Liverpool - Halifax - Boston run. At this time she was rebuilt to a tonnage of 9,413 tons and on 22nd April 1903 she resumed the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal service.
In November 1909 she was further altered to carry 463-2nd and 755-3rd class passengers and on 22nd August 1914 commenced her last voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal, being used on the return passage to carry part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force to Europe.
In 1914 she was used as an accommodation ship for German prisoners and between 1915 - 1918 was used as a transport ship.
In Nov.1918 she resumed the Liverpool - Portland service until 13th August 1926, when she commenced her last voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal.