One funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 12-1st and 1,000-steerage class passengers Mamari was the first steam ship built by Harland & Wolff for Shaw Savill - she made her maiden voyage on the 15th of December. Her funnel was taller than that of her sisters Matatua and Kia Ora and when carrying emigrants she was fitted with two extra lifeboats fitted just forward of the bridge.
In 1906 whilst being dry-docked at the Calliope dry dock, Auckland she shifted on the keel blocks, this resulted in a large wave that killed two workmen.
From March to June of 1910 she made a record round the world voyage.
During the war she was used under the Liner Requisition Scheme from 1917 onwards.
In 1927 she had to put into Port Stanley for repairs having struck an iceberg and the following year was renamed Gerolstein for Arnold Bernstein for the transport of cargo only. She transferred to the Atlantic route (Antwerp-New York) in 1933 having been fitted out to carry 190 Tourist Class passengers .
1938 saw her being transferred to Red Star Line ownership and in the May of the following year Holland America acquired the company name selling Gerolstein to H.C. Horn where she was renamed Consul Horn.
In June of 1942 a mine off Borkum sank her.
[Merchant Fleets vol.10 by D. Haws] [North Star to Southern Cross by J. Maber]