4 August 1898
10 November 1898
Union Steamship Co.
No. of Screws
Triple expansion constructed in Belfast
An enlarged sister of the
she was delivered as the
for the Intermediate service but on transferring to Union-Castle in 1900 served as a troopship during the Boer War.
In August 1914 she was renamed
following the outbreak of war with Germany and in the September was commissioned as a hospital ship with 423 beds.
With British India's
she was one of the last hospital ships to be decommissioned in 1921 when they were replaced by the permanent hospital ship
She continued to operate as a troopship in the Far East until 1922-23 when she carried British peace-keeping troops to Turkey.
Returning to Union-Castle in 1925 she served on the Intermediate service until 1930 when she was broken up in Holland.