Harland and Wolff - Shipbuilding and Engineering Works

  GUCC Fleet No. 131
  Class Town
  Original Type: Motor
  Known As Large Woolwich
  Date Built 20.4.37
  Hull Construction Steel
  Registered RICK 151
  Intended Paring 254
  Her hull is made of riveted steel, with a wooden boatman's cabin aft. She has a bluff bow, with a raked curved stem and a counter stern. She has a horse towing mast and the current engine is a 1940s Lister JP2 diesel, with two cylinders and 22-24 brake horsepower. She was built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. (GUCCC) and traded on the major canals; mainly London, Birmingham and Nottingham. She was owned by British Waterways from 1948 to approximately 1964. Subsequently, she was sold and is believed to have been called WILLOW WREN for a short time. In 1970, she was bought by Jim Evans who kept her for five years. She was then bought by the Three Fellows Carrying Company and remained with them until she was purchased by the current owner in 1983. She was one of the last narrow boats to operate in commercial trade. She was re-bottomed in 1988 and re-cabined in 1991. A JP2 engine was installed in 1980 and she had a new counter deck in 1983. She continued to trade full time until 1985 and still maintains her commercial license. unconverted camper.fs.10/94. 7/00 still a camper, on T&M 2001   Life and times of GUCCC CHISWICK and TARPORLEY  Chiswick