Harland and Wolff - Shipbuilding and Engineering Works

With a strong industrial base, Harland and Wolff was selected for the manufacture of war material that ranged from tanks to hand grenades and bullets. Tanks were built by Harland and Wolff between August 1939 and May 1943. At a time when there was an urgent demand for tanks the firm built about 550 Matildas, Churchills and Centaurs.

Harland & Wolff developed the original model of the tank, the famous A20, in their tank factory on the Woodburn Road, Carrickfergus. By June of 1940 had completed four prototypes. The vehicle was armed with two 2-pounder guns each located in a side sponson and plans existed for an additional third gun in a central turret.

Timeline