The North of Ireland Shipbuilding Co of Londonderry
1912 The company was established in July 1912 as a four berth shipyard based on the west side of Lough Foyle, which is at the northern end of Londonderry in Northern Ireland.
1913 Production began from 1913 with four Great Lakes steamers, a steel carrier and a steamer.
1916 The company bought 56 acres of land and five new berths and a fitting out quay were constructed, with long term plans for an engine works. The company continued making ships mainly for the navy.
1920s After the war, the yards capitalised on the shortage of tankers by manufacturing hulls. The yards also made Great Lakes Steamers and four of these were the last to be ordered form the Foyle yard. The yard was then taken over by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson in 1920. Orders declined and Swan, Hunter cut back on activity at the yard. Eventually Harland and Wolff took over management of the yard at Pennyburn and used it for dry dock repairs for the numerous allied navy ships that were based in the city.
The old Ebrington Barracks were taken over by the navy and commissioned on 9th. December 1940 as HMS Ferret. The shipyard at Pennyburn was also taken over as "Fort George", and used as a ship repair facility, manned by workers from the Harland and Wolff yards at Belfast.
1946 The Foyle yard closed and was then demolished.